The Gathering

forum
It is currently 27 May 2024, 23:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007, 01:29 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
quite agree with you.

as far as i'm concerned, I hope I'll have the chance to go to a AdA gig in the future, meet and discuss with some AdA pure fans: I mean some people who enjoy AdA music but who never heard about TG sounding before. It would be very interesting to get their music point, as objective as it would be.

I wonder how much (if at all) Anneke will tour with AdA. With her sun I can see her not wanting to do much touring. I'd be surprised if she did much touring outside of Holland, which is too bad, because I'd love to see her again. If she does tour, maybe she can sing some TG songs. I'd rather see that than see someone else singing her songs with TG.

Sadly I'd be surprised if AdA attracts many fans who were never TG fans, but we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007, 06:31 
Always
Always

Yaû,

I have some difficulties to get your point of view.

In your first post, your criticized the easy creative side from this song.

What I was focusing on in my post too.

In your second one, you argue more about past Anneke's involving in the Gathering band.

that's really not the same. I dont get it.

This song has nothing to do with a TG one because it doesnt sound like at all to me... moreover, any of The Gathering members left are not involved in it.
I'm not a musician... neither a singer... my point is: as long as you decided it for your career, leaving a band for a new one is like changing job. in new team, your working methods and your involving are not the same anymore... so are the results.

I still find silly to compare this song (like any past Anneke side project songs) with any TG one. Because The Gathering is not Agua de Annique.

Still about this AdA demo song, as a music listener (and not as a TG lover) my point is : the more objective point you may get, the bigger appreciation you will have ... the rest is just a matter of taste, which we cant argue with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007, 11:29 
Always
Always

Overkill wrote:
we'll see.

yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 18:12 
Traveller
Traveller

oh please!, i dont wanna be the discordant guy but, its just me or the song is quite "home" oriented?. come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 18:33 
King for a day
King for a day

@ Slacker: Do you mean the album Home or "stay at home" - or are the two things the same? Read on ...

@ Hoang and Overkill: Comparisons don't serve much purpose, but we can't help making them because the voice - and the presentation of the voice - is the same. If there's something "missing" from that AdA demo track, it's the sound of TG behind Anneke. At one level, I've just made a nonsensical statement - of course it's all different. At another level, some of us (me included) are sort of willing Anneke to go on and have further great success, but if that means touring with a band, she may choose not to do it - but wait, what right do I have to say that? :wink:

If Anneke doesn't want to tour much, or at all, the best I can say is that we'll find out in due course. I'd quite like her to contribute to this discussion, but at the same time I can think of a few reasons why she might not want to.

@ Anneke, then: If you're reading all this, please consider joining in the discussion. If you stay silent, then everyone ends up second-guessing, which isn't really very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 20:36 
Traveller
Traveller

Geoff Palmer wrote:
@ Slacker: Do you mean the album Home or "stay at home" - or are the two things the same? Read on ...

@ Hoang and Overkill: Comparisons don't serve much purpose, but we can't help making them because the voice - and the presentation of the voice - is the same. If there's something "missing" from that AdA demo track, it's the sound of TG behind Anneke. At one level, I've just made a nonsensical statement - of course it's all different. At another level, some of us (me included) are sort of willing Anneke to go on and have further great success, but if that means touring with a band, she may choose not to do it - but wait, what right do I have to say that? :wink:

If Anneke doesn't want to tour much, or at all, the best I can say is that we'll find out in due course. I'd quite like her to contribute to this discussion, but at the same time I can think of a few reasons why she might not want to.

@ Anneke, then: If you're reading all this, please consider joining in the discussion. If you stay silent, then everyone ends up second-guessing, which isn't really very nice.

yeah i doubt the band will get like extensive world touring, i can only imagine i few holland shows, and maybe i couple european dates, but nothing more. at list not with the first album. and yes i meant the album when i said "home" oriented.

ps: i dont see (think) anneke commenting this stuff, at list not in this topic. maybe on an interview, but not here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 20:40 
Traveller
Traveller

Geoff Palmer wrote:

yeah i doubt the band will get like extensive world touring, i can only imagine i few holland shows, and maybe i couple european dates, but nothing more. at list not with the first album. and yes i meant the album when i said "home" oriented.

ps: i dont see (think) anneke commenting this stuff, at list not in this topic. maybe on an interview, but not here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 21:54 
Always
Always

Geoff,

you have the right to say what you want ^^... Even if I disagree with...
I have nothing else to say in this topic... everything is clear for me.

The more I read your words and your thoughts, the more I think you are lost in your own nostalgy and your frustration. Maybe you should turn the page... well I don't know.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 22:39 
King for a day
King for a day

Hmm. I thought we were in agreement at one point. There may be some misunderstanding, but let's not worry about it. If I was lost in nostalgia and frustration, perhaps I'd be playing Mandylion over and over, while crying my eyes out. :wink: That's not going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 22:54 
Always
Always

hmm. your opinion is kinda contradictory, dont you think?

I disagree with you on this point (moreover it deals with nostalgia and frustration):

Quote:
If there's something "missing" from that AdA demo track, it's the sound of TG behind Anneke.

This demo may get a better sound mix, but nothing is missing in it. Anneke's performance is matches the musicians ...
The instruments sound great, as natural and jazzy as they are. That's my view. ^

Last edited by hoang on 06 Jul 2007, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 23:29 
King for a day
King for a day

I see where you're going on this, but what I meant was something slightly different. You may disagree with me, but I think the track needs more texture, and René and Frank are very good at providing that. It isn't really about nostalgia. It's about taking a beautifully delivered lyric and then putting something of interest behind it, and thus creating some real magic. It's just my personal view, but I think the demo track needs a little more - of something, not necessarily the rest of TG!

One person singing and playing a guitar (or whatever) can create magic, but the trick is to fill some of that space between the sung lyrics, to leave something hanging there that carries the mood and atmosphere forward. For me, the demo track doesn't quite do that at the moment ... but then it is only a demo.

To explain what I mean a little more clearly, let's think about Coldplay. However well the singer sings, for me there just isn't enough "something" happening in terms of texture or atmosphere. On the other hand, old British folk singer Roy Harper can add texture just by hitting one curious guitar chord and leaving something temporarily unresolved.

If I'm digging a hole for myself here, tell me to stop digging and I'll put the spade down.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 23:32 
Always
Always

Geoff Palmer wrote:
You may disagree with me

I may not... I do... that's not the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 23:46 
King for a day
King for a day

Quite so. But I didn't set out to give you permission to disagree with me (you are welcome to disagree with me any time you like - you don't need permission from anyone, least of all me). I meant that "it may be the case that you disagree with me".

These are just words and they're getting slightly misunderstood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 23:50 
Always
Always

You are annoying... but I dont care.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 02:22 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:

Cheers.

whats your problem?
why are you attacking him all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 07:09 
Always
Always

I have no problem and I dont attack him.

We were discussing about our point of view. like responsible and adult people. We disagree. I dont see any problem with that.

you guys are too touchy. that's it.

I love this song. It's so beautiful.

Thank you again Agua De Annique!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 11:18 
King for a day
King for a day

Yes, we disagree - but that's all really. No hard feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 13:48 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
I have no problem and I dont attack him.

We were discussing about our point of view. like responsible and adult people. We disagree. I dont see any problem with that.

you guys are too touchy. that's it.

I love this song. It's so beautiful.

Thank you again Agua De Annique!

I love the song too.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 15:18 
Third chance
Third chance

Geoff Palmer wrote:

I'd love her to contribute to this discussion, but I don't see it happening. Considering that according to Hans, she doesn't want to play with TG at all anymore, I doubt she'd want to go to their forums, especially if there is tension between her and the other band members. I can understand her wanting privacy and not wanting to be bombarded with questions, but I wish she had a way to interact with her fans, as Hans has done with this forum. If nothing else, it would stop the fruitless speculation that's going on now. Maybe once the AdA site is actually launched, she'll have her own forum. She may not want that though. I just hope we get more info about AdA soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 16:45 
Always
Always

Geoff Palmer wrote:
Yes, we disagree - but that's all really. No hard feelings.

yep.
glad to get a discussion with you.

I hope one day my english expression will match up to yours. eheh...^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next