The Gathering

forum
It is currently 15 Jun 2024, 21:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Agua de Annique
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:33 
King for a day
King for a day

agnieszek:) wrote:
at first about this one who talks taht the reason was family ok so if she want to be with her son thats ok but if ADA , band is more comercial it doesnt have "metal opinion" so its quite possible that AdA start to ravelled the world and ect

You can call me Dorian, if you like. I prefer that over "this one" ;)
I see what you mean. However, whether the band sounds more mainstream or not is not too important, I think: metal bands or bands with what you call "metal opinion" travel around the world just as mainstream pop bands do. Just look at all the American tours TG did in the past several years. Anneke has stated in interviews she wanted to spend more time at home. I guess that means it's likely she will do that, and thus will tour less.

Quote:
and about famlily reasons and stuff we can give a lot o exemepels when singer or musician are in the big band have kids
and i can give you a vocalist in poland Kasia Nosowska she is the former vocalist of the one of the most popular polish bands since 15 years , shes got a child , she got also some solo albums , that albums are in music way totally diffrent from her bands job , her band named Hey in poland is very popular when they realesed they album they are everywhere , a lot o radio interwews , clipshoots , festiwals concerts , even abroad (for poles but they need to travelled), and also she write words for other musicians so she can do a lot of diffrent stuff and bieng mother

I am a bit familiar with both Hey and Nosowska's solo project, and this lady really is an impressive singer! And from what I've heard her solo project is quite different from Hey too. I wasn't saying solo projects in general had to be like the original band, I only said there was no reason for Anneke to change her sound that much.
And of course some people can combine being mother with being a star and travelling around the world, but others can not. Also, many mothers just wouldn't want that: they want a quieter life, being with their child more often. Nosowska's choice is her own, and so is Anneke's. We can hardly judge any of the two for making their own choices, right?

Quote:
this music is to similar to Tg i dont mean her voice but the music the way that songs are built , and 3 people i asked in the first moment was thinking that SSB its a some song from HTMAP or SB , or You are nice is very similar to debris .give me some diference between TG and Ada pleas give me

SSB is Sunken Soldiers Ball, right? Interesting, you mentioned it before. There's no denying that the intro (first half minute) sounds like TG's Red is a Slow Colour. After that, the similarities end. The way Anneke employs backing vocals in this track is unlike anything she's done before. I can't recall TG using any trumpets, now that I'm listening to the track again.
The construction of the songs is, in my opinion, also quite different: tracks are shorter, there's less experimentation, there are less sound effects both by keyboards and guitars. As you said yourself, this project is more commercial. I prefer the term mainstream, because I don't think Anneke expects to make big money out of this. The music is also more mainstream, simplifying song structures significantly.

Quote:
last day i put in my mp3 player HTMAP Souvenirs and Home and after that Air and i dont feel that nothing changed maybe only that guiters are worst so for me Air is a better version of Home mixed with HTMAP and if amy Winehouse was the singer od the band i would say the same thing

and i guess if band without anneke in voc recored album like this some of you will attack them like some where attacked
gathering alike femalefrontedmetal bands

I don't really understand what you're saying in the end, could you clarify that? :)
Well, if you listen to those four cd's in a row you'd be deaf not to notice any differences, but I guess you mean there's no difference between the three TG albums and Air.
I'm sorry, but HTMAP and Souvenirs are both very different from Air, way more so than Home. The two former cd's are full of experimentation, have a layered sound and have longer tracks in general. There are many similarities between Home and the quieter songs on Air, I agree. In my last comment, I already gave some reasons for that. Those quieter songs, however, are so quiet and minimalistic that I would never recognize them as TG/ADA songs without Anneke's vocals. There's hardly a specific sound that distinguishes them from thousands of other pop songs.
In the less quiet songs, I'd just as soon draw parallels with Anathema and Porcupine Tree, as I mentioned before. Tracks like "Witnesses", "You are Nice" and the climax of "Trail of Grief" sound roughly the same as PT when Steven Wilson is trying to rock. Certain parts of "Ice Water" sound like passages Anathema's Fine Day to Exit. "Come Wander with Me" (I've never heard the original) seems like a Loreena Mckennitt song. And right now I'm too lazy to listen to more tracks, so this will have to do.

Yes, there are similarities between TG and ADA. But it's Anneke's distinct sound and her special way with melodies that makes them sound somewhat same-ish, not the music per se.

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:44 
Always
Always

No harm guys, this is again an opinion among many.

This first album still sounds so static, unfinished and not personal at all. Gave more tries... but.

Oh well, too boring.

The musicians plays well ... but they play like any correct musician.
So finally... they have no music personality (yet) and no soul: the bass just goes with the guitars which go with the drums and so on... they keep good synchronicity together... ... but then? Nothing... nothing burst at all and all is mostly predictable.

The arrangements are too smooth and basic
What annoys me more are the tempos which are really too linear. AdA can really make me fall asleep while driving a car i guess

The melodies are okay but i have this feeling they were already composed by someone else.

I just wonder you are honest or not because all is just and mostly focused on Anneke’s performance and beauty: her voice caresses the other instruments attheir own limits, bringing just feeling to the whole thing, as much as she's able and used to do it... in the past.

but where are breathtaking ? the personnal touches? I don't feel that much over here.

the music is just standard. some "soup" as we say it in France.

well, in any case, I don't "feel" anything from the Gathering flame in AdA. The reason why I can't compare AdA with them.
Structures can be the same in two different bands, not only in AdA and TG, and they can express and bring different messages and emotions.

anyway, my point is still the same: AdA sounds nothing subtil, intelligent, layered, complex and crafted as the Gathering.

I saw AdA as a different, original and jazzy band. Finally,it's still a band which didn’t take the directions i was hoping for.

let's cross the finger for the future... or whatever finally.

Last edited by hoang on 06 Nov 2007, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:49 
Third chance
Third chance

Usual Suspect wrote:
SSB is Sunken Soldiers Ball, right? Interesting, you mentioned it before. There's no denying that the intro (first half minute) sounds like TG's Red is a Slow Colour. After that, the similarities end. The way Anneke employs backing vocals in this track is unlike anything she's done before. I can't recall TG using any trumpets, now that I'm listening to the track again.
SSB is so moody it could have come straight out of Kate Bush's the Dreaming instead of HTMAP.

edited: typo!

Last edited by bidibidibib on 09 Nov 2007, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:52 
Always
Always

I totally agree with Usual Suspect ... Sunken Soldiers has the same tempo as Red is the Slow Colour.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:57 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:

This first album still sounds so static, unfinished and not personal at all. Gave more tries... but.

Oh well, too boring.

"NOT PERSONAL AT ALL", EXCUSE ME; nothing can be more MotherF*cking PERSONAL then Trail of Grief, NOTHING !!!!
This I needed to say FIRST before I read more of your AdA bashing... :roll:

Last edited by bidibidibib on 06 Nov 2007, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:58 
Always
Always

sorry, i shut the f*ck up now.

seriously I'm not bashing at all.

i don't like the music... it's boring. and i express it.

now face it.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:04 
Third chance
Third chance

Quote:
sorry, i shut the f*ck up now.

wise decision

Last edited by bidibidibib on 06 Nov 2007, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:06 
Always
Always

hey. Take it easy guys. Personal opinions. Peace :wink:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:08 
Always
Always

hoang wrote:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:13 
Third chance
Third chance

Daeron wrote:
hey. Take it easy guys. Personal opinions. Peace :wink:
Didn't you see the smilie? It's not an angry one... :wink:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:29 
Always
Always

Hypocrite.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:35 
King for a day
King for a day

Relax, folks. A bit of a warm discussion is a good thing, but that's best combined with a lot of respect, lest people misunderstand each other's opinions for personal attacks.

Personally I disagree with Hoang about the lack of personal touches and feelings. I guess it's different for everyone, as I think this is the most personal album Anneke has ever made, with or without TG. I also understand why many people don't like it. Air is not as layered, not as experimental and progressive as most of TG's work. But I do not think it is less personal.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:54 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
Hypocrite.
Your first glance at my post was misleading my friend...so it should tell you more about the message in there ...as of now!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 01:21 
Third chance
Third chance

I really don't understand how someone can think that AdA sounds like the Gathering... I am not discussing if it's good or not (I like the album, btw) but other than Anneke's voice and a song or 2, It doesn't sound like the gathering at all to me...

It doesn't have the layers of sound TG has... Even Home, the only TG album that is somewhat similar to Air, the simplest of songs had a different feel...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 06:34 
Always
Always

Usual Suspect wrote:
it's different for everyone.

of course, I agree.
seriously, don't care about getting right or wrong. I'm just here to share opinion

I just tried to be objective and honest about my comments.
I was blind, realizing some people lacks of tolerance and maturity in here, maybe i should have not written them.
all is so positive for them they can't and don't want to face any negative opinion. the worst is they are getting mad and hysteric.

This album is a real failure. it has nothing to do with TG. the music is absolutely and emotionnaly different. Thats' my point.
then that's it.
I'm not complaining, staying cool.

sorry again.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 20:03 
Traveller
Traveller

Usual Suspect about comercila face of AdA i have on mind that thing that if in fuiture AdA will have global concterts tour she will doubt AdA and former new band ?
some before wrote something that she wanted be closer to home so she had left a big profesional band as TG but Ada is also profesionall band and in any moment they can be playing gigs in chile because they are the new Anneke band so many fans even in chile are waiting for her , another reason that as i am loging right they are in The End Records and if i remeber TER are american label so i gues that this album will be selling in US and maybe not this year but next they shuold go ther also so in my opinion this reason its not a true (for exmeple she could played alternative rock in dutch if she dont wanna be selling abroad ).

About Sunken soldier ball, yes i meant abou beging and and tempo if any band would use cuoples seconds identical to other song its sometimes reason to go to court
and i of course hear difreces between Souveirnrs home HTMAP but i also here that music of The Gathering have been changing evolved in concret direction but Air isnt another step in this evolution but like some b-sides from Home,

and as i write in my first album its a good album but not good enough and not fresh and new enough
you now i dont neeed the gathering and the gathering bis (copy is always somehow worst then original)
i dont need another rock project that are nothing better to PT , Anathema ,Riverside, Ulver or Kate Bush
you now this album is good to be background for reading book being in the train, but in the music space its alot of
bands like this

this albums makes break of hearing new songs from The Gathering and isnt worth it

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 23:22 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
of course, I agree.
seriously, don't care about getting right or wrong. I'm just here to share opinion

So you keep saying…how many times can one repeat the same message, hide behind the just-my-opinion mantra while NOT being a spammer?!? It’s a rethorical question... :roll:
You don’t like the direction Anneke has taken, fine! If you just say that you don’t like it, it will give no respons but when you go on and on and on about how everything basicly sucks you should expect vehemently disagreement even if it is only >restricted< to a TINY part of your criticism/opinion. You can’t just absolve yourself and try to WEASEL OUT of this with an 'every opinion = equal' dogma. If you give severe criticism then be prepared to defend your position. I have put you to the test with a FAKED angry post and you failed to read-between-the-lines so it can be assumed you’re SO not in the position to determine whether or not there’s personal intimite touch in Anneke’s album.

now face it.

Quote:
I just tried to be objective and honest about my comments.
I was blind, realizing some people lacks of tolerance and maturity in here, maybe i should have not written them.
all is so positive for them they can't and don't want to face any negative opinion. the worst is they are getting mad and hysteric.

If I was intolerant of your opinion, I would quote your entire post and if I was immature, I would demolish every single statement. It’s you who are acting immature since you don’t even address me when you talk about "mad" and "hysterical".

Quote:
This album is a real failure.

Yeah you’ve made that clear now how many times can you repeat that without carrying some kind of an agenda?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 04:17 
King for a day
King for a day

bidibidibib's avatar is awsome!! :green:

my comments about this discusion... maybe later

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 08:04 
Always
Always

my comments about Air are written. my opinion was faced (mission succeed lol). so I have nothing else to say.

sorry guys, i kinda agree....that was a mess.

my respect to all of you.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007, 00:00 
Third chance
Third chance

Casimiro wrote:
bidibidibib's avatar is awsome!! :green:

It's Mss Spooch from Monsters & Co (saying "Ta-Da" in the bloopers)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next